Can’t Find Heartbeat with Fetal Doppler? Try these tips!
One of the most treasured moments of pregnancy is to find the heartbeat of your baby.
A feeling of affinity and affection showers over your body soon, you get to know that you will be able to hear your little one’s heartbeat.
This is probably the most delightful sensation ever that any new Mom-to-be can relish all her life.
Thanks to the fetal doppler, that has made it easier than ever for many expecting Moms to hear their little angels by staying at home.
Fetal doppler is a handy ultrasound device that uses sound waves to check the baby’s heartbeat while he\she is still comforting in your womb.
On the one hand, when you are excited to hear your bundle of joy, on the other, you have worried whether it will be safe for your child or not. Still, you want reassurance that things are OKAY with the love of your life.
Rest assured, as long as you have the fetal doppler with you.
If you already have the fetal doppler and still you cannot find your baby's heartbeat, then read this article till the end.
Ahead, we will be sharing some tips and tricks that will make the use of Fetal doppler most effortless.
Get ready to hear your baby.
Before proceeding further, ensure that you the following things on your checklist;
- Ultrasound gel. The ultrasound gelis the key to unlock the seal between you and your baby. There is nothing wrong with using it as this gel is solely a mixture of water and a gentle solvent known as propylene glycol.
It just serves as a lubricant that secures the bond between the device and the womb, eventually producing the sound waves.
- Batteries. Generally, fetal dopplers run on batteries. Double-check the kind of batteries your device requires.
- A relaxed place to lie down. If you aren't getting any result with fetal doppler, check whether you were reclining while using it? Lie down on your favorite site then check because finding a heartbeat can take a while sometimes.
- Patience. The excitement of hearing your baby for the first time can cause a loss of tolerance. It's not your fault; the moment demands that.
But you have to be patient, as your impatience can cause undue anxiety and stress, which is not suitable for you and the baby.
Just keep calm, and remember the fruit of patience is sweet.
Tips & Tricks
- Use the start low, Go slow
First thing first, be gentle, and gradually increase the probe movement.
Before starting, always remember the fruit of patience comes to those who wait.
Begin with placing the probe around the pelvic bone. Now move forward in a mild and gentle shaking motion. Don’t forget to go slow.
Many women press the probe closer to the baby so that they don't miss the hear beat. Never do that. The best formula to achieve your desired results is gentle angling only.
- Apply the gel on the probe.
Don't ever be frugal with the gel use; otherwise, you won't get the desired results.
You might have noticed that on your last appointment of ultrasound, the technician had spurted a little amount of gel on your belly. That's because a small amount of ultrasound gels makes detection easier.
Don't apply the same principle with you. Firstly, because you aren't a technician, it will not give you the looked-for results. So, be substantial while applying the gel.
Another most important factor is to use the ultrasound gel directly on the prob's end. Many women apply the gel on their bellies instantly, just like the technician in the laboratory. Don't forget you are doing this from your home's comfort, so avoid such mistakes to achieve your triumph.
Some women use the gel-like a hand moisturizer and rub it for a longer time on the belly. Doing so will reduce the static only.
Last but not least, don't be scared that you will run out of the gel. A single bottle of fetal doppler ultrasonic gel is enough for a whole month.
And even if it ends up during the month, you can buy the ultrasound gel easily online.
- Overweight? Use a 2MHz probe.
The most common hindrance seen in not getting the baby's heartbeat is obesity in women. Yes, the fat impedes you and your baby.
You don't need to torch up calories you can't. All you have to do is to alter the probe or buy the fetal doppler set with a 2MHz probe. You can also buy a replacement probe.
Generally, the fetal doppler sets come with a 3 MHz. So, if you are overweight, buy the 2MHz and see the magic.
- Don’t Freak Out.
Don't expect the wanted results in the first go. You may be habituated to listening to your baby's heartbeat, and abruptly when you can’t, chances are you make a fuss. Many women think that God forbids something wrong with the baby or blames the device.
In reality, there are many likelihoods behind not getting the heartbeat, like
- You have an empty bladder.
- Your little one has transited to a position that makes it challenging to hear his heartbeat.
- You are not lying down properly. The suggested position is to recline in such a way that the uterus is in a vertical state.
- Don’t use the doppler in a standing position.
- You might be using too much gel. Be generous, but not too much. Using loads of gel can decrease statics by creating air bubbles.
Don't be quick in making assumptions. If your baby's activity s present, there is nothing to be bothered about.
Still, if you aren’t getting any results, consult your doctor right away.
- Let your neonate grow. Don’t use the fetal doppler if your baby is less than 12 weeks. Sometimes even after 12 months, the heartbeat isn't detected. All you have to do is to wait for the right time.
Sometimes you cannot detect the heartbeat at home, but when you visit the doctor, they are successful in doing so. The reason is that a doctor's clinic is highly equipped, and you are relying on a handy gadget. Also, doctors use 4D ultrasound equipment, making the whole process state of the art.
- TRY, TRY AGAIN.
Many of you must have quitted using doppler on the first try, as the reasons behind not getting a heartbeat are already mentioned above.
Babies move a lot in the womb; they can't sit still. Sometimes their head blocking the probe's angel. Other times they pull their knees towards the chest, making it difficult for the mommy to hear them.
Pregnancy teaches you to be patient with yourself and the baby as well. Apply the same principle while using the fetal doppler for your baby.
Try again; there will come a moment when the baby is lying in optimal condition, and you get to listen to the heartbeat.
- Clean the probe after using it.
Every time you use the probe, clean it thoroughly. Often the ultrasonic gel build-ups reduce the efficiency of the entire equipment by increasing the static. Eventually, you can't hear the heartbeat.
The process of cleaning isn’t complicated at all. Take out a clean cloth and wipe off the gel from the bottom after use.
Another way to clean is to sterilize it using a 70% ethanol solution. Avoid putting the probe in water or other cleaning solutions.
- Take the heart rate range into consideration.
Sometimes, mommies pick up their heartbeat instead of the babies.
Here’s how you can check the heart rate range;
- 60-80 BPM (Beat Per Minute) means it’s your heartbeat.
- 120-180 BPM (Beat Per Minute) shows that it’s the little ones.
You will observe that the baby's heartbeat is faster than yours.
Chances are you hear a fade heartbeat, but that's indeed not a reason to worry. Slow heartbeats mean your boy/girl is just having fun by changing positions.
Pro Tip: Quit alcohol or caffeine during pregnancy; it can only foment the heart rate of the baby. So, for the sake of your baby, avoid such things in pregnancy.
- Study the sounds. Frequently, women get anxious by not hearing the heartbeat. It will help if you instruct yourself about the heartbeat. You will find many videos on YouTube regarding recognizing the baby's heartbeat and seeing a difference between yours and the little one's heartbeat.
- Don’t push the prob too hard. Be gentle while application. Pressing the prob harder will make the application difficult and more challenging.
- DON’T scrub the gel all over. The gel does improve the connectivity but lathering up the probe with gel isn't the solution. Loads of gel will create bubbles as well, which are a hindrance to connectivity.
- Avoid using in a standup position.Many mommies think that the only way o put the uterus in a forward place. That's wrong. Instead of standing forward, lie down in a comfortable position.